Sunday, February 5, 2012

Nobu- Sushi

It's about time that I start blogging about one of my all time favorite hobbies...eating. Some people eat to live, but I live to eat. Whether I go out to a restaurant to eat or if I eat at home or even if I cook up a storm on my own, I always find myself wondering what I will be eating next. I am addicted to food and can't tell you how excited I get anytime I get to try something new.
Even when I was a little girl, I would go into the kitchen and create some sort of concoction that I would force everyone to try. The first thing I ever "created" was Lemon Roll Roll, which, in retrospect seemed like something that no one had ever done before and I deemed myself to be a culinary prodigy. However, it turned out that I was not the first person to add avocado and lemon juice to a quesadilla.
Fortunately, I have come very far since then and enjoy making (and baking) anything that I think up. I also enjoy eating anything that other chefs decide to think up for me, which usually occurs in a more intimate restaurant setting, such as a sushi bar...Nobu in Malibu to be exact.
Chef Nobu Matsuhisa is the incredible chef who sparked my decision to create this blog where I will share recipes, photos, and restaurant suggestions to anyone willing to hear and share feedback!
The night before heading back to my second semester as a senior in college at the University of Arizona, my parents surprised me by taking me to one of the most popular and incredibly delectable sushi bars on the coast of southern California, (at least in my opinion!)

The best way to eat at a sushi bar, is to tell the sushi chef that you're starving and everything sounds so good that you can't possibly make up your mind about what to have and that you would like for them to surprise you and keep it coming until you can't bare to stuff one more piece of creamy, delicate fish into your belly.
Since it wasn't too crowded at Nobu, that is exactly what I did.
The chef was more than happy to accommodate my needs and started me off with Amberjack sashimi topped with a sesame and curry sauce and fried onions. I had never had Amberjack fish before, but my tastebuds were elated as I tried not to quickly devour this light pink silky fish with a hint of spice and the crunch of the onions to create the perfect blend of texture. YUM! Next on the list was Red Snapper sashimi with a citrus and chili paste, a familiar and comforting taste to me. The sweetness with the kick of the Japanese chili pepper created a new appeal to Red Snapper that I had never had before. Then, it was off to a plain and simple Scallop sushi, something that I often enjoy and enjoyed even more because of the freshness of the fish, (Nobu would never do me wrong with a piece of fresh fish).
Of course after that, my whole family ordered Spicy Tuna on a rice cake, which is an all-time favorite of ours and many others, I'm sure. The rice cake was not too crispy and not too oily, which is sometimes the case in some sushi bars. I was also please with the texture of the tuna, as it was so finely diced, and, they did not add any mayo to the spice mixture, so it was spicy without the extra unnecessary fat added into the mixture. I then ordered a Spicy Shrimp roll with avocado and smelt eggs. If you are making that grossed out or upset face because I mentioned eating unborn Nemo's, stop it! You are missing out if you haven't added smelt eggs or asked for them to be removed from your sushi. They are, in my belief, a great alternative to soy sauce because of the salty-ness that they create AND they're a great late night snack when they get stuck in your teeth! (just kidding....but really, brush well before you go to bed). I kid you not though, you must add them to one of your sushi rolls and give them a shot, I promise you won't regret it. Finally, I ended with something made from the kitchen, their famous Squid pasta with mushrooms and white asparagus in a reduced broth that the Squid and mushrooms had been cooked in, which included a flavorful amount of salt and light garlic. But the Squid pasta was not the chewy texture that you would expect, it was just like pasta! It was easy to chew, it was soft, and it was delicious! The mushrooms were cooked to perfection and the asparagus was not too mushy and not too crunchy, it was just right.


Like I said, Nobu would never do me wrong! I highly, highly recommend going if you haven't, there are several locations across the on the East and West coast and it is definitely a treat! Pricey, but worth it.
With all of the food I eat, you would except that I wouldn't be the smallest of people, and I have always heard that you should never trust a skinny chef. But, I have come to prove you wrong. I am a skinny chef and a skinny eater and I will do my best to never steer you wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment